Where can Chicago-area culinary professionals go to spend a couple of hours over lunch with colleagues interested in sourcing sustainable seafood?
Please join us at the beautiful Fisher & Paykel Appliances/ DCS Appliances showroom in Elk Grove Village for a workshop on sustainable seafood:
- Almost 90% of diners say they want restaurants to serve only sustainable seafood, but nearly 75% are unaware which fish are close to extinction.
- Teach a Chef to Fish Roundtable on Monday October 19, 2009 from 1130 - 130 PM will help you meet this demand.
It's a roll up your sleeves and learn session. Attendees will hear brief introductions to the new resources including a brand new sourcing service, and a self-study course perfect for anyone who wants to learn more. October is National Seafood month, come get inspired and create a new menu item celebrating sustainable seafood.
- Top Chef Season 5 Contestant Radhika Desai will talk about her connection to the issue of sustainable seafood while we chat with her about the dish she'll demo on state of the art equipment.
- Kassia Perpich will share highlights of Shedd Aquarium's Right Bite program.
- Dirk's Seafood - Dirk Fucik, owner of Chicago’s premier retail fish shop will be on hand to share inside info on how to source sustainable seafood
- Plitt Company’s Mary Smith and Supreme Lobster’s Carl Galvan will represent the wholesale distributors’ take on sustainable procurement and how it is passed on to local chefs.
- We’ll hear about the sustainable aquaculture Australis Barramundi, The Better Fish. . Learn what makes some aquaculture sustainable from this leader.
- We’ll introduce new tools like the Blue Ocean Institute and the Chefs Collaborative program, Green Chefs, Blue Ocean. We’ll review their seven part online tutorial.
- We’ll walk through the new, free sourcing service,FishChoice.com which gives culinary professionals real-time information to source sustainable seafood from a large database of purveyors, many of them already familiar names.
Join colleagues who share your interest in sustainable seafood. We'll have sponsors information, barramundi to take home, and materials in a USB flash drive to take away. Take the first steps toward a more sustainable menu, or deepen your commitment using self-study and sourcing tools.
Join colleagues who share your interest in sustainable seafood. We'll have sponsor materials, Chefs Collaborative Seafood Solutions report, and more in a USB flash drive to take away. Seating is limited. Please contact me by Friday end of business to register so we have a headcount for lunch LDGourmet. If you would like to make a donation on the day of the event, the proceeds will go to the Shedd Aquarium.
We had a wonderful inaugural event in Boston and are preparing to take Chicago by storm - come join us!
* This event is not a sales pitch, just a lunch and learn designed to broaden the discussion of sustainable seafood. I thank the sponsors who have helped cover costs: Fisher & Paykel Appliances, FishChoice.com, Australis Barramundi, Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.