One of the best things about winter is citrus. Enjoying citrus on a cold, snowy morning is one of our digressions from "eating local." I have had lemon chess pie, lemon bars, and lemon meringue pie on my mind. Thanks to my in-laws, I have a big supply of beautiful, organic Meyer lemons. This is a delicious and healthy smoothie that evokes a lemon meringue pie, with a side of virtue.
Lemon Meringue Pie Smoothie
- Juice & zest of 1 lemon, preferably Meyer
- 1/4 C plain soy yogurt (you can use any plain yogurt you prefer)
- 2 Tbsp oats
- 2 egg whites
- 1-2 tsp ground flax
- 1/3 C frozen banana slices
- 1/3 C frozen mango chunks
- 1 tsp honey, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- handful of ice
- Buzz up the oats in the Vitamix first, for a smoother texture.
- Add fruit, mango for sweetness and banana for custardy texture. Yogurt also adds protein and smooth tartness.
- Add ground flax seed, ginger, lemon juice and zest, egg whites. (If you're worried about raw egg whites or immune compromised, omit or use pasteurized cartoned egg whites.)
- Top with a handful of ice and set your Vitamix on smoothie.
- Did you know: heart healthy oats are a cinch to incorporate in smoothies? In this one, I buzzed up the oats first for a really smooth texture.
- Egg whites are a good source of protein
- Flax seed brings all kinds of nutrition- ALA or alpha-linoleic acid for one. Buy whole flax seeds and store in your freezer. I grind about a half a cup at a time and keep it in a shaker jar on the counter. Shake on/in smoothies, shake on oatmeal in the morning, salads at night.